My name is Adam Zasada and I’m a litigation lawyer with Sorbara, Schumacher, McCann LLP. Our firm is located in the City of Waterloo with offices in Kitchener and Guelph.
In nearly two decades of practicing law, I’ve developed a broad advocacy background with one of my primary areas of practice being construction litigation. However, I also regularly act for clients in matters involving title insurance (coverage, defence, and repair), real estate litigation, and general contractual disputes.
The following is a small representative sampling of some of the work that I’ve done over the years:
- Represented numerous strata (condominium) corporations in lawsuits against the consultants and constructors responsible for the design and construction of “leaky condos” in B.C..
- Represented a wall cladding system manufacturer in a product liability claim arising from alleged deficiencies in the system.
- Successfully defended a university at trial in a negligence claim arising from the towing of a vehicle on university property.
- Successfully defended an insurer at trial based on a “work tools” exclusion in its policy.
- Obtained a favourable settlement for a university in a claim against a surety arising from deviations from the rigorous specifications for an outdoor artificial turf field hockey pitch.
- Represented a contractor in a $10M+ fire spread claim arising from a fire at a blueberry processing facility in Pitt Meadows, B.C..
- Assisted the owners of 46 properties in the B.C. interior settle claims and clear title when their contractor sought bankruptcy protection and subcontractors registered numerous builders’ liens against title to their homes/cottages.
- Obtained a summary judgment dismissing a lawsuit against a contractor that repaired equipment at an Ontario Power Generation power station.
- Obtained a summary judgment dismissing a claim of priority by a mortgagee against another mortgagee on the basis of a registered postponement.
- Obtained an Order discharging a nearly $600K construction lien and dismissal of the action for failure of the lien claimant to post security for costs and breaches of interlocutory Orders regarding undertakings.
- Successfully negotiated (some with mediation and many without) numerous settlements of various claims.